Belinda Spence put up a challenge in the facebook group Tatting the Australian Way. ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/847655165276159/ )
It was a free pattern and anyone could participate.
Well....it LOOKED easy enough. But it actually has a more than usual level of concentration required, as we pretty much all found out!
First attempt and I made the rookie mistake of thinking it was a rock along easy pattern so I used Alenalea Rako HDT...... and suffered the consequences.
After attempt number 1.... after cutting out a repeat of the pattern because I joined in the wrong place (twice),I ended up untatting 9 rings in an attempt to not run out of thread. THIS is what I had left!
So I decided to try it again.....
This time with Altin Basak 50 in red and Butterfly gold thread
Version 3 was a breeze. A couple of small unpicks and swearing at the fraying Lizbeth thread but otherwise ok.